Tuesday, September 10, 2013

"Selling" the Mediterranean Diet

Tonight, I am giving a 10-12-minute speech on the virtues of the Mediterranean Diet.  I call it the healthiest diet in the world, and for good reason.  Study after study has shown that the Mediterranean diet is instrumental in reducing the incidence of cardiovascular disease, atherosclerosis, diabetes, and obesity, because it is so rich in monounsaturated oils (olive and sesame), as well as the omega-3 fatty acids found in the sardines that are so plentiful in the Mediterranean Sea. 

It is my task tonight to point out all these qualities, and "sell" my audience on its virtues.  I put sell in quotations, becuase that is the purpose of my speech, though it is somewhat formulary.  I am an advocate of the Mediterranean Diet because I grew up with it, learned to love vegetables and fish as a child, and recognize the value of such a food plan.  No calorie counting, no carbohydrate counting, just enjoyment of the many delicious foods available from that region.

Today is my birthday, and although many years have gone by since my childhood in Israel and my introduction to that lovely diet, I am to show my audience what 64 looks like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment