Friday, October 26, 2012

Low-Carb Sunflower Seed Crackers

These sunflower seed crackers are insanely delicious, and remind me of my childhood in Israel, especially when I was very young, about 2 years old, and my father would take me to a sunflower field where we would both be buried under the tall sunflowers that shone their blooms overhead!

This recipe was sent to me by my good friend, Joyce D.

Ingredients:
1 c. raw, shelled sunflower seeds
1/2 c. Parmesan cheese
1/4 c. water

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Place the sunflower seeds and Parmesan cheese in food processor, and process to a coarse, meal consistency.  Add the water, and pulse until dough is well blended, soft and sticky.  Cover a cookie sheet with a piece of parchment paper, then turn the dough onto the parchment paper.  Place another sheet of parchment paper over the dough, and with your hands or a rolling pin over the second piece of parchment paper, press the dough until it is quite thin, the thinner the better.  Peel off the top layer of parchment, and using either a sharp knife or pizza cutter, score the dough sheet into squares or triangles.  Bake for about 30 minutes, or until evenly browned.  Let cool.  Peel off the bottom parchment, and break along score lines.

My friend tells me that she gets about 6 dozen crackers in this recipe.  I am told that the whole batch contains only about 13 g of carbs! Calories? That's another matter.

You may substitute sessme seeds!

No comments:

Post a Comment